The next Republican convention in Macomb County is coming up on February 7 and as usual, campaign nonsense is afoot.
The upcoming convention is to select Delegates and Alternates to the State Convention on February 22 and 23 in Lansing, MI. At the state convention, the balance of party leadership at the State and District levels will be determined.
Current 10th District Chairperson Stanley Grot has announced his intention of running for re-election for the position. The first step for Mr. Grot is to win the 10th District caucus at the Macomb County convention. This would give him an advantage to win the district by filling the list of Delegates and Alternates with supporters from the 10th District portion of Macomb. This in and of itself is not out of the ordinary in any convention.
What is different is that Mr. Grot’s campaigns are an odd-mix of selective messaging, both in audience and transparency of fact. He also wages a Shelby Township/Chicago-style mud slinging campaign using surrogates in order to tarnish any and all opposition.
Below are the various messages known to have gone out as part of his campaign:
Letters directly from Mr. Grot:
- January 2, 2013 – Mr. Grot’s letter to “delegates that have been on board with me over the last few conventions”
- January 2, 2013 – Response card supporting Mr. Grot
- January 13, 2013 – Mr. Grot’s letter to “friends and key supporters”
- Date Uncertain – Mr. Grot’s letter regarding a “Pre-Convention Informational and Strategy Meeting”
- Date Uncertain – Mr. Grot’s letter about how he is providing “Complimentary Transportation to Convention”
Letters from supporters or surrogates for Mr. Grot:
- January 20, 2013 – Barbara VanSyckel (former Macomb GOP Chairperson) letter that went out to a select group of precinct delegates
- January 25, 2013 – Ann Brown (former Macomb GOP Treasurer) letter that went out to a select group of precinct delegates